Ladies and gentleman, if there’s one thing that can cause the veritable “S” to hit the fan, this is it.
So how do we remedy and/or prepare for a grid down scenario? Think retro – like pioneer retro- and by that we have to go way back to when we were not so dependent on the luxury of on-demand energy in its various forms. When preparing for a grid-down scenario, we must comprise different contingency plans for short-term and longer-term issues. That being the case, we have to admit to ourselves that it could last longer than we expect and much more than just a minor inconvenience. Therefore, the best way to prepare is to start with your basic needs. That is the need for light, heat, water, and food. Some preparedness items to stock up on are:
- Alternative fuel sources such as solar and diesel, wood for burning.
- Food preservation supplies – dehydrators, canners, smokers, fermenting/pickling supplies. To learn more, click here.
- Bulk food – Canned, freeze-dried, dehydrated or dry goods.
- Water filtration supplies, rain harvesting supplies and large quantities of stored water.
- Light sources: Lanterns, flashlights, candles and matches and alternative light sources
- Batteries and chargers
- Emergency stove – solar oven, rocket stove, camping stoves, etc.
- Wood burning fire place – Central air heating systems, even if they use natural gas or propane, depend on electricity for the blower that will circulate the heated air. When the grid is down, this system will not work. Having a wood burning fire place is an alternative to central heating systems.
- Cash money and/or silver or gold currency.